K-Tec

Affordable Astronomy

More
16 years 4 months ago #67031 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy

I can't find any celestron Astromasters or Omni range firstScopes on telescope-service To compare prices to.

Can you send me a link to where the Celestron starter scopes are.

eh... I don't know! You're the first to mention telescope service here :-)

edit: In case you meant conns their product list is here www.connscameras.com/flat_areaEQLproduct...ryIDEQL26_entry.html
I don't know what an Astromaster is, but Conns seem only to do some nexstars & accessories.

Also Conns are part of our distributorship one of many Shops around the country.

Thought so given Celestrons stupid national setup. They're still undercutting you :-)

Comparisons with the US are not valid here unfortunately. Yep, someone is making a huge markup, but I don't think its Carl!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 4 months ago #67035 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy

eh... I don't know! You're the first to mention telescope service here :-)

Also Conns are part of our distributorship one of many Shops around the country.

Thought so given Celestrons stupid national setup. They're still undercutting you :-)

Hi Albert,

As far as I remember you told me about telescope service were cheaper on firstscopes on the phone the other night that is why I went there.They do firstscopes but there not Celestron.

As for conn he has the price list to. It's up to him to look after his website. as for under cutting all shops will be in line with the new price list. Weather in the middle of a back alley way in Cork or on Grafton st everything will be at the some price everywhere.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
16 years 4 months ago #67037 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy

As far as I remember you told me about telescope service were cheaper on firstscopes on the phone the other night that is why I went there.They do firstscopes but there not Celestron.

Ah right! Now I understand! I didn't check them myself that's just a comment I got from someone else I was passing on. The comparisons I mentioned to you on the phone that I checked were from Greenwitch. Though now that I look I think the telescope service celestron prices are at www.telescope-service.com/Celestron/start/start.html
At a glance you are cheaper for some they are cheaper for others.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #67043 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy
Not this again about prices........................

Carl offer me your most expensive scope for FREE..................

I'll say NO.

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

More
16 years 4 months ago #67045 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy

Not this again about prices........................

Carl offer me your most expensive scope for FREE..................

I'll say NO.

Paul - so you don't want a free CGE1400?

Carl - can I have his free scope?

No matter what way you look at this and regardless of what AI policy (or otherwise) was in the past, Carl is making a genuine effort here which can only benefit astronomers and astronomy in this country. As Albert says above he's not always going to be the cheapest but at least A&S are now more in line with worldwide pricing and I'm sure that if you let Carl know that you can get the same item cheaper elswhere he may be able to give you a better offer. I don't think its fair to knock the guy for trying to "right the wrongs" of previous A&S / AI policy.
Ultimately the winner here is us - astronomers. If you can't see that then I suggest you read your booklet on "Preparing for Major Emergencies" as your probably one of the people who actually need it (i.e. "blatantly obvious for the obscenely stupid").

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 4 months ago #67049 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy

No matter what way you look at this and regardless of what AI policy (or otherwise) was in the past, Carl is making a genuine effort here which can only benefit astronomers and astronomy in this country. As Albert says above he's not always going to be the cheapest but at least A&S are now more in line with worldwide pricing and I'm sure that if you let Carl know that you can get the same item cheaper elswhere he may be able to give you a better offer. I don't think its fair to knock the guy for trying to "right the wrongs" of previous A&S / AI policy.
Ultimately the winner here is us - astronomers. If you can't see that then I suggest you read your booklet on "Preparing for Major Emergencies" as your probably one of the people who actually need it (i.e. "blatantly obvious for the obscenely stupid").

Couldn't have put it better if I tried.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds