Affordable Astronomy

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 4 months ago #67138 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy
Dave et al...

I for one don't think anyone is AI bashing in this thread at all. I think were all long past those days.

From what I can see, I think Carl is trying to develop a scenario where Caveat Emptor sort of becomes unnecessary. What I mean is if someone goes to him and gets a good deal, they'll come back, after a couple of visits they just know that what they will always get a good deal then they don't need to invest time and effort because they can implicitly trust that merchant. I think that's what Carl is trying to acheive. From my friendship with Carl I see a guy who has empathy with fellow astronomers, as a guy who has two kids he himself needs to be prudent when spending his hard earned dosh on astro kit. I think what he is doing at A&S is the way he would like to be treated and as such thats why he has been working so hard to get to this point.

John M. I agree whith you re the AI website, I can tell you that the guys there are acutely aware of it's deficiencies and a project is already underway.

To revert to the earlier posts about US/Euro prices, I think it is important to remember that these two regions are very distinct and separate economies operating off different base levels. i.e. Americans dont get paid as much as we do and hence the US market can only bear a certain price on goods. It aint just telescopes its pretty much everything that is cheaper in the US. However the guy in the US still has to pay the same percentage of his/her salary on a scope as we euros do, if you catch my drift. Therefore I think price comparisons between the US and europe are not all that fruitful. (but still interesting). It is also important to remember that shipping large items from the US costs an arm and a leg. A short while ago I did a check on what it would cost to ship a CGE9.25" from the US to Ireland via FedEx. The answer is 888USD - 1380USD depending on the service you choose. Then the buggers here charge you 4% excise and 21% VAT on the cost of the scope AND the shipping. There's no point in thinking that, it might get through the customs, it wont, those days are long gone.

Even if you manage to do all that and still save a few bob (assuming you can get the USA dealer to sell to you of course) you now have to pray to your favourite saint every night that nothing goes wrong because if it does you gotta pay holiday money to get it shipped back. Personally and without any bias one way or the other (remember I don't work for A&S or any dealer), I would not recommend importing a scope from the states to my worst enemy. The sheer grief and worry of it all is just not worth it. Personally I would not go outside of europe. At least you see the price you pay and you have some peace of mind.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67163 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy
I'm genuinely comfuddeled
from reading this thread.
genuinely.

If I wanted to buy a Meade or other big name brand scope
from AI / A&S shop, could I?

I have heard that ye only sell Celestron gear.
Is that correct?

Grand if ye do,
no skin off my nose.

I know form experience that suppliers do deals and the like.

So whats the craic?

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 4 months ago #67170 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy
I have to agree Frank, this is a kinda pointless debate really and all its doing really is raising publicity of the AI shop (no such thing as bad publicity), I'll buy what brand and model I want from whatever source I want, if a shop doesn't stock that brand/model then so what !!, its a big internet world out there.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 4 months ago #67193 by JohnONeill
Replied by JohnONeill on topic Price Comparisons for Scopes etc
Hi,

More price comparisons (I have started a new thread, as much of the material on the previous thread was not relevant to this) :

I picked a TV scope at random, and a bunch of suppliers at random.

Tele Vue NP101

This is a short focal length, apochromatic 101mm refractor (2" diagonal included), no mount included.

SCS: £2349 inc GB vat = €3051

Green Witch: £3200 inc GB vat - €4156

Telescope House: £3399 in GB vat = € 4414

Telescope Service : €3150 inc German vat

Bintel Australia AUS$ 4331 = €2632 + 25% taxes = €3291

OPT;Adorama $3295 = €2126 + 25% taxes = €2657

(shipping not included),

John

More
16 years 4 months ago #67195 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy
The NP101 is a fine scope, one I always considered getting in the long term.
What an amazing difference in price, the cost of it in OPT + a holiday there in the US is not far of the GB cost, shocking really.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 4 months ago #67383 by pj30something
Replied by pj30something on topic Re: Affordable Astronomy
Paul - so you don't want a free CGE1400?

Carl - can I have his free scope?

No matter what way you look at this and regardless of what AI policy (or otherwise) was in the past, Carl is making a genuine effort here which can only benefit astronomers and astronomy in this country.

Nope i dont want it for free.

Cudo's to Carl............................

There are savings on all scopes and that is GREAT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IF you want Celestron scopes.

Is it possible for AI to (as asked above) stock other brands?

Celestron is ok but it is the beginners level. If all AI stock is Celestron.............they are limiting their customers to beginners...........even though they do see 14" scopes (like the one Carl uses).

Just because they are the main Celestron dealers in Ireland doesnt mean that Celestron has to be the only product they sell.............................

Or does it?

Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds