K-Tec

A.I. observing session tuesday night

More
17 years 10 months ago #36187 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night

hi bart,
all i am trying to do is get every one out looking through a telescope i cannot see a problem with that i'm dissapointed that each time i put an event on the boards all hell breaks lose, as i said before all i'm interested in is promoting astronomy witch i love to do, and love to share my Interst and knowlege of astronomy with everyone. i don't no what happend in the 90s, all i can see it has notting to do with "astronomy" :!: i think ifas is doing great work and are a great bunch of lads we all have a common goal astronomy. trust me i will becoming along to ifas events to and hopefully help you guys also, thats how intrested i am in promoting astronomy.

I agree with you!

The politics really annoys me, hence my pleading with AI and IFAS to just get along! Live and let live and so forth. I think it's in everyone's interest to let all their members know about all events. People can choose what events to go to and what events not to go to. There is nothing gained by the petty politics of not announcing an event because it's not your event and to be clear that goes for IFAS as much as AI. I have been an out-spoken critic of attempts to prevent AI events being posted here and will continue to speak out against any such moves.

More astronomy less politics!

Bart.

I also have a feeling a lot of others agree with us in this point. It

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 10 months ago #36189 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night

"....Celestron or DTG equipment to a star party. "

The reason for this is that the Shop was the sponsor for the Star-B-Q event. For example, so was Coca-Cola, so there were no competitor soft drinks at the event. This should have been explained to you at the time you volunteered to help.

"Democratically elected" or "market driven" it's all just semantics.

Which is probably why I'm much happier going to KAS observing sessions and public events. I very much doubt whether we would even consider sponsorship of an event if not bringing our pet scopes was part of the deal, though I think we'd be quite happy to accept sponsorship from a soft drinks company since it wouldn't impinge on the interests of the members. It's also part of why I say that AI is not a 'club' in the sense that I understand it. Clubs serve their members' interests first and foremost, not those of the vendors or manufacturers.

There's nothing semantic about it. AI is a front for a business, which I accept in that I'm still a subscriber to A&S and I'll still buy products I want from the shop if the price is right. But if I go to a star party it's to see what other people's telescopes are like and to show one of my own and I want to see as many different products as I can so that I'll be better informed when making future purchases. I'm not interested in providing free advertising for one particular brand and seeing only a limited range of products that are available from a particular outlet. When KAS or any of the other IFAS clubs runs an open observing session or star party the range of brands and variety of gear on show is usually much more interesting.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 10 months ago #36195 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night

I used to be a relatively active AI member until I was 'advised' that I should only bring Celestron or DTG equipment to a star party. The scope I had intended to bring was a Televue Ranger

WOW!............. Just so I'm clear on this, AI hold starparties and tell the guests not to bring telescopes unless they are the type DM sells in his shop? :shock: Was this somthing that happened 10 years ago or is this current AI policy............... If so its outrageous

• carlobeirnes
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 10 months ago #36196 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night
hi all
listen im starting to get tired of this, i will not be posting anything else on this subject, it is something that would go on forever and i dont have the time for it.
i will find other ways to promote astronomy in this country because its not worth the hassel posting it on this tread :!:

good luck with ifas.........

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
17 years 10 months ago #36198 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night
That sucks Carl. No one has had a go at you (apart from me, it seemd, but any-hooo), so why throw in the towel just because a thread you started has stirred up some feelings against the matter (NOT against you).

There is no need for you to keep explaining I only want to promote astronomy, for crying out loud, as we heard you the first time! :D

This is just another debate about why we would like to help AEye (genuine remark that one, if only you were a fly on the wall at some of our conversations in person over the last 2 or 3 years), and in turn get some help back.

I woud like you to just be the bigger man than me and walk away from the topic, head held high, knowing you (in all intents and purposes) did nothing wrong.

For the rest of you, I think it is fair to say that a really good interpersonal debate, over pints, would be a good thing. This topic and many variations of it have proven to be really good brain excercises on who can get the most politically correct retort in, the lowest verbal blow, and why we dont like the other thing-or-other. Perhaps a merging of these brainy talents to do more positive things are required. I know we have allied 'spies' on both divides - lets KEEP working together!

I would like to add that Dave Grennan has graciously, and enthusiastically, accepted TAS's invitation to come to Cosmos 2007 and speak to us and its visitors from all over Ireland next March. I look forward to it, I know Dave is. But I bet he will be a little scared if this thread gets a little out of hand, and then TAS will be left with out a good speaker, even if under the guise of AEye (as well as SDAS), at our event. Who cares where they come from in fairness, so that will never be an issue for TAS.

I will lock this thread now. And hope not too many of you will be offended as not being able to get the last word in. I myself can go on forever, massaging John Flannery's tired shoulders and rubbing the oil on his brow, and we all get the digs in against each other.....

etc.

etc.

etc.

It does look like the weather will not be favourable tonight for the telescope event. However, should it prove Met Eireann has not got a clue on how to give even a 50% accurate forecast, then I hope those who travel to it have a great time.

And tell us how you got on... as an observing report! Just make sure it goes in the right forum THIS time folks!

:D

Thumbs up, thread closed,

Seanie Morris.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds