K-Tec

A.I. observing session tuesday night

More
17 years 10 months ago #36062 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night
Hi Dave

Recent posts reminded me. I emailed a little bit of PR to Ai for the feb issue and pm'd yourself. just wondering if there is any progress......

Cheers
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlobeirnes
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 10 months ago #36063 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night
I don't know what astronomy Ireland did before I came along, It has nothing to do with me, all I know is that the phoenix park event is free, Im not here for the political side of things I am just promoting astronomy In Ireland and that is all I care about! :evil:

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
17 years 10 months ago #36064 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night

Guys, Carl is just telling people about a free event. Thats all. No need to go down 'that road' again. It's all been said.

It's an old road but I'm sure you can understand the frustration of event organisers around the country who are still ignored by AI despite posts on this site recently indicating a warming of their attitude.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 10 months ago #36067 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night

I don't know what astronomy Ireland did before I came along, It has nothing to do with me, all I know is that the phoenix park event is free, Im not here for the political side of things I am just promoting astronomy In Ireland and that is all I care about! :evil:

And such posts will in future be moderated. I actually had a good mind to delete this thread in the beginning, for obvious reasons, but I would not have heard the end of it from some (I edited the thread title to include the A.I. bit).

AEye does not deserve free publicity on this site IF it charges money or even requests donations at its events. I am openly saying this now - if AEye's event tomorrow night is seen in any way of making money, future similar AEye posts like this will be deleted on sight (UNLESS a majority moderator+admnistrator vote says otherwise).

I will digress from this topic to also say that if they could at least acknowledge the e-mails/requests of others, then things would go a little more smoothly on these boards when future AEye posts will pop up.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 10 months ago #36071 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night
I think the general stance of IFAS is that:

a) it will promote [1] any astronomy event provided it is free of charge.
b) it will promote any events run by affiliated clubs/societies or their members

As long as AI do not charge any money or request a donation, then that's fair enough. But if there is any charge or donation requests, that falls outside the remit of the above and any post either deleted or locked (if further agreement is required).

Carl and Dave G - I know previous history has nothing you do with you and I hear your pain (I don't share it though). Others here have been party to AI politics in the past (and continue to be) so their views and opinions are as valid as yours. If AI would reciprocate the advertising and promoting of amateur astronomy in Ireland then these discussions would stop. Perhaps you guys could put this suggestion forward to the relvent folks in AI? After all, IFAS and AI have a common goal.

Cheers

Dave

[1] Advertise events through this website either on the front page or through the use of the bulletin boards or by including details in affiliates' magazines, newsletters, or websites as they see fit.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 10 months ago #36075 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: A.I. observing session tuesday night
Ok well it does seems there is an appetite for this discussion so lets have it.

My main problem is its Ok for people to advertise all kinds of commercial entities, e.g. remote observatories (arnie rosner), lidl, UK retailers etc, but when a genuine guy (carl) feels it's in the interest of the astronomy scene to advertise a free telescope session then that's not ok, if AEye are behind it. It's ok for IFAS clubs to advertise chargeable events, lectures, mags etc, but not AEye even for a free event.

You might say that these are IFAS clubs and this is the IFAS boards but let me remind everyone that IFAS is an organisation which specifically excludes AEye by it's constitution. Thats IFAS's perogative, however you then ask AEye to support IFAS clubs in its magazine. You can't have it everyway guys.

I have done my level best personally to make AEye see that it's in everyone's interest to work with IFAS, however everytime I start to get somewhere all of this stuff comes out.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds