K-Tec

Astronomy Ireland charging for events

More
17 years 5 months ago #44871 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
David,

I am a subscriber to Astronomy & Space magazine and I admire the effort put in by other subscribers to make events like the observing nights happen, I've even participated from time to time myself, but what club? My subscription to A&S was sold to me as including club membership, yet in the five years I've been a subscriber I've never received a membership card, a notice of a general meeting or any communication about the election of officers, nor have I seen a club constitution, articles of association or a summary of club accounts.

Who appoints the officers of the club?
When is the AGM held?
Who is entitled to attend an AGM and/or elect officers?

As far as I'm concerned I'm an A&S subscriber and that's the end of it.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44888 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
€30 for a slap up meal and a nights observing is not bad value. A burger at Eddie Rockets and a cinema ticket will cost you that and wouldn't last as long. Incidently, any money that you donate to a registered charity is fully tax deductable, so if you are on the 42% band you will get this back if you submit it with your tax return. I am not sure of AI's tax status but if you can claim the tax back its a bargain night out-just keep the receipt.
I saw a comment on the price matching from the AI shop. I bought a fairly large and expensive instrument from them recently. I got the same price as Telescope Service were asking including shipping costs -and I never even had to ask for it or even point out the price I was quoted from Germany.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
17 years 5 months ago #44889 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
Dave Grennan wrote:

Keiran (Phoenix): I will ask about those lecture DVD's. I agree its gone on way too long. My limited knmowledge is that the guys who rips the video to mp4 is having hardware problems. I'll see if there is anything I can do to help him along.

Cheers Dave. I know you have a guy working on it for the last month. Our star parties are free but then again its bring your own and cook your own which eats (excuse the pun) into observing time. If food was laid on then I would expect to pay.

Query? 3600+ members? The latest mag has a feature on the 10,000th member. Does that mean we lost 6000+ members :cry:

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 5 months ago #44890 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

Keiran (Phoenix): I will ask about those lecture DVD's. I agree its gone on way too long. My limited knmowledge is that the guys who rips the video to mp4 is having hardware problems. I'll see if there is anything I can do to help him along.

Just a thought:
They could look at putting edited highlights on youtube/google-video, even the audio stream can easily go up as a podcast like Cian does for sdas.

Youtube is very handy. You can easily embed videos on your own website. eg www.shamrockrovers.ie/videos.php or just directly on youtube if you don't want the hassle www.youtube.com/profile?user=ShamrockRovers

Mind you those are free services so they might dig into DVD sales...

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 5 months ago #44892 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
What ticked me off about the webcasts was that I had fully intended to travel down to Dublin for Kevin Sweeneys lecture but then two people had to take off work which meant I was left holding the fort. I thought, No problem I will watch it online. I waited for months and eventually the link came up BUT DID NOT BLOODY WORK. Its been that way since. OK I could buy the DVD but then why the hell am I a member. Why not have a member zone on the website to watch the lectures and then all none members buy the DVD.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 5 months ago #44894 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

Youtube is very handy. You can easily embed videos on your own website. eg www.shamrockrovers.ie/videos.php or just directly on youtube if you don't want the hassle

Good idea AL. Although I have some recollection that YT have some kind of time or size limit on files. I did find a great joomla component which allows streaming direct from your own webiste. I used recently to stream a video of asteroid vv2 from my own site. Thanks for that idea. I'll make a point of looking into it.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds