K-Tec

Astronomy Ireland charging for events

More
17 years 5 months ago #44814 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
I stopped attending after one particular star party, the reason being that I was asked not to bring my favourite grab & go scope because it wasn't of a certain brand. I was and still am of the opinion that if I pay to attend a star party and wish to bring a scope along to share the joy then I should be able to bring whatever scope I like. If I didn't have to pay because a particular brand name was covering the cost that would be a different matter.

Because I'd already paid for the ticket I did attend on that night with a scope that I would have preferred not to bring, but not since.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 5 months ago #44816 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

I stopped attending after one particular star party, the reason being that I was asked not to bring my favourite grab & go scope because it wasn't of a certain brand. I was and still am of the opinion that if I pay to attend a star party and wish to bring a scope along to share the joy then I should be able to bring whatever scope I like. If I didn't have to pay because a particular brand name was covering the cost that would be a different matter.

I agree John. That is wholly unacceptable.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 5 months ago #44822 by iridium.flare
Replied by iridium.flare on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
Ok there's a lot of things that AI do that I don't agree with. A lot of things!

But in this case I don't really see the grounds for complaint. As others have already said there are overheads to be covered. Does anyone here have any such objections to forking out 50 quid for the Whirlpool?! Same thing from what I can see.

The thing that got me about the specific e-mail in question was they attached a "picture taken through the type of telescope we will have at the event" and then had a nice image of Saturn taken by Damien Peach. To me that gives the impression that a person with a bit of an interest in astronomy will go to the event and expect to see that at the eyepiece. So people can only be disappointed by that in my opinion.

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

More
17 years 5 months ago #44827 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
If they get a clear night with steady seeing and good scopes the view of saturn will be pretty amazing. the largest scope I have seen saturn through was an 8.75" F6 dob and on good nights the view is amazing.

I have my 8" F5 out the front in light polluted skies as i type and I can see the Cassini division, shading and banding on the planet, the shadows of the rings, the shadows of the planet and a host of moons.

I dont think people will be disappointed

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 5 months ago #44830 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

If they get a clear night with steady seeing and good scopes the view of saturn will be pretty amazing. the largest scope I have seen saturn through was an 8.75" F6 dob and on good nights the view is amazing.

or you could join a club, like I did and end up making lots of friends
who are so totally into this hobby that they go out of thier way to
help you/ advise you/ let you look through 20'' obsession scope (thanks Dave :wink: ) all for free, free, freeeee!

All you got to remember fguihen is that AI & Astronomy & Space is a business.
Hurray for the free market and I wish all astronomy businesses much success!

But at the end of the day, It's up to you to decide is what you are getting (information / equipment) value for money.

Although, ...judging by your reaction and the fact that you are an active member on these IFAS boards.....I'd say you'll make the same decision we all have... most made it the hard way.

Thats my 2 cents.

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
17 years 5 months ago #44831 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
I am still waiting for AIs webcasts to be updated. It was a big deal that members outside of Dublin could watch lectures online but they have not been updated for about 10 months now. Guess what though, you can buy the lectures on DVD. Membership renewal is coming up soon... BUY BUY oops sorry I meant Bye Bye.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds